Giving the Gift of Planning During the Holidays
Sep 13, 2023
Planning for the end of life is a gift to your loved ones. Preparation means less confusion around care preferences and other end-of-life matters. Time together during the holiday season is ideal for starting the conversation with those close to you.
Begin by having everyone answer the following questions:
- What will you remember most about me when I’m no longer here?
- What would I want a doctor to know if I needed medical care and couldn’t speak for myself?
- What is an advance directive?
- I know there’s a lot of uncertainty and fear around dementia, but planning for it makes me feel prepared. If I am ever diagnosed with dementia, what would my priorities be?
- How do I want to be remembered after I die?
- What do I want my last moments to be like, and who should be present?
- What kind of memorial event, if any, would I prefer?
Compassion & Choices’ Tools to Finish Strong can help you ask and answer important end-of-life questions.